Car accidents happen all too frequently in South Carolina. When you are involved in an automobile accident, it can be scary, and you may not know what to do. Below is some basic information concerning car accidents and what you should do if you have been injured in a car accident in Hilton Head, Beaufort, or anywhere else in South Carolina.
Causes of Car Accidents
There are a number of causes of automobile accidents. Some of the most common causes that result in someone becoming injured include:
- Negligence on the part of another driver;
- Texting while driving, which is prohibited under S.C. Code Ann. Section 56-5-3890;
- Other acts of distracted driving;
- Drunk driving, which is illegal under S.C. Code Ann. Section 56-5-2930;
- Improperly maintained roadways;
- Mechanical failure of a vehicle;
- Improperly secured cargo; and
- Improperly maintained tires, as it is illegal to operate an unsafe or improperly equipped vehicle under S.C. Code Ann. Section 56-5-4410.
Many of these causes can be the fault of another driver. If you are the injured victim of a car accident where the other driver was doing something unsafe that caused the accident, you should speak with a personal injury lawyer about obtaining recovery.
Common Injuries Associated with Car Accidents
A person involved in a car accident can suffer a wide array of injuries, and how bad the accident looks is not a good indication of how serious any resulting injuries might be. There is no telling what kinds of injuries a person who is involved in a car accident will walk away with. Some of the most common injuries car accident victims suffer include:
- Bruises, contusions, scratches and other minor injuries;
- Chemical burns from airbag deployment;
- Broken or fractured bones;
- Injuries to internal organs;
- Traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Emotional distress or post traumatic stress disorder; or
What to Do After an Automobile Accident
- Get Medical Treatment. If you are injured in a car accident, the first and most important thing for you to do is obtain the medical treatment you need. Go to the hospital and let the doctors examine you thoroughly to make sure that you are properly treated for your injuries. Do not let the cost of treatment deter you from getting the care you need.
- Do Not Talk to Any Insurance Companies. If you are contacted by an insurance company, either your own or the insurer for the other driver involved in the accident, refrain from speaking with these people until you have had a chance to talk to a lawyer. Talking to the insurance companies could be used as evidence against you later when you try to obtain compensation from them.
- Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer. When you have suffered injuries due to the fault of another, it is critical that you contact a personal injury lawyer to help protect and preserve your rights.
Contact a Hilton Head and Beaufort Personal Injury Attorney
If you have suffered a personal injury as the result of someone’s negligent actions behind the wheel, or if you have been hit by a drunk driver, it is important that you consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer serving the Hilton Head and Beaufort areas. The personal injury attorneys at Workers Compensation Lawyers- can help you with your personal injury case. Contact us today.